Saturday, July 21, 2012

Zucchini Tips


A bit about Zucchini: 
For those of you who were listening today, you heard me mention that zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables.  I did plant some in my small garden this year, but I've not harvested any yet.  The plants don't even have any blooms just yet.  Thankfully, a friend gave me three huge zucchinis, which means I've been experimenting with new recipes all week.  First for those of you who aren't familiar with zucchini, here's some tips.  I'm still working on posting the recipes.


Zucchini and Summer Squash Basics
Zucchini is simply an elongated, cylindrical, usually green variety of summer squash.  Zucchini and other summer squash are in season during the summer, peaking at the end.


What to Look For: Look for zucchini and summer squash that are firm and heavy for their size; the skin should be brightly colored and blemish-free. Because they are harvested earlier, smaller squash are more tender than larger ones and have thinner skins; choose squash that are less than eight inches long.  The larger the zucchini the larger the seeds; seeds tend to be harder to eat when the zucchini is large.  Personally, I use medium size zucchinis for grilling, baking dishes where I will be using thinly sliced rounds.  I use the large zucchinis for recipes that I will be dicing or grating and avoid the large seeds.


How to Store: Do not wash until ready to use.  If the zucchini has been uncut, it will be fine sitting on the counter.  If you have cut the zucchini, refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to four days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment