Saturday, July 21, 2012

Zucchini Lasagna

This is an approximate recipe for how I personally make Zucchini Lasagna; I don't measure my ingredients for lasagna.  I also don't make my own spaghetti sauce, but I like extra spices to it to give it more of a homemade taste.  You could certainly just use the sauce straight from the jar and eliminate all of the add-ins.


Ingredients: 
1 jar of your favorite Spaghetti Sauce 
2 lbs ground beef, browned (optional, I skip it)
1 small container of fresh mushrooms, chopped (I like Baby Bellas)
1 med to large white onion, chopped 
2 to 3 cloves garlic or to taste 
1 fresh basil leaf, chopped finely (optional) 
Couple leaves of fresh oregano, or to taste (optional) 
1 pint small-curd cottage cheese or ricotta  
1-8oz bag of shredded mozzarella (More if desired) 
2 medium size zucchini sliced into thin rounds 
Salt/Pepper, to taste 
Parmesan Cheese 
Butter


Garlic grater
Directions: Preheat oven to 400°F
Grate 1 clove of garlic or to taste.  I have a garlic grater (see picture to the right.)  It's my absolute favorite kitchen tool; I use it almost daily.  If you don't have one, a regular garlic press would work fine.  Saute mushrooms in butter and garlic until tender. If you choose to add ground beef, season with salt/pepper and garlic power to taste.  Cook on medium heat until no longer pink.  

Keep in mind the sauce already has garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.  Add these ingredients slowly to taste.  I add a little extra, but that may be too much for you. 

In a large pot add the sauce, diced onions, mushrooms, browned ground beef (optional), and a good sized palm full of Parmesan cheese.  Stir.  Stir in the remaining grated garlic (to taste).  Add the additional basil and oregano a little at a time to taste, if desired.  Stir.  Simmer on med-low, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and ingredients have incorporated.  
When I make this dish, I slice the Zucchini into rounds and boil them until slightly softened.  You could skip that step.  I have also made this with strips of Zucchini.  It's really up to your personal preference.  I find the rounds are easier to slice through, but the strips make the dish look more like traditional lasagna.  It's delicious either way.
Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.  Spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom.  
*Top with zucchini, a layer of sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan, a layer of ricotta, and a layer of mozzarella.  Repeat layers beginning with Zucchini except for the final layer of mozzarella. Bake at 400°F for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly.  Top with remaining layer of mozzarella bake for about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment