Monday, January 2, 2012

Black Bean Soup with Jalapeno Salsa

Black Bean Soup with Jalapeno Salsa
Morning Girl Blog Post

Note: I modified this a bit when I tried it.  The recipe below is my modified version.  I changed a couple ingredients, and I added all of the salsa ingredients directly into the soup.  It was delicious.  Personally I would always serve this with cornbread, but the day I made it I served it with Garlic Butter Ciabatta Bread 


Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • large poblano or green bell pepper, chopped
  • cloves garlic, chopped
  • large red onion, chopped
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, or 1 heaping cup dried black beans, soaked and cooked
  • 12-ounce Quality Chicken Stock
  • 3 to 4 jalapeños, halved and seeded
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Directions

  1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the poblano, garlic, all but ⅓ cup of the onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
  2. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the cumin.
  3. Add the beans, stock, and ½ cup water (I used more stock instead). Mash some of the beans with a fork or potato masher. Bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the soup is slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, heat broiler. Place the jalapeños on a broilerproof baking sheet and broil until charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Slice crosswise.
  6. In a small bowl, toss the jalapeños with the cilantro, lime juice, remaining ⅓ cup onion and 2 teaspoons oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve with the soup.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment