Saturday, January 26, 2013

Momma's Chicken Thyme Soup

I know that I'm partial, but my mom makes the best chicken noodle soup.  It's coziness personified.  So I am pasting this recipe exactly as she sent it to me - hearts and all.  I'll try to sneak a picture the next time she makes it.  Thanks Mom!

Momma's Chicken Thyme Soup: 
In a large pot add:
3 boxes chicken broth (may need to add a 4th if get's to thick next day)
3 large chicken breast, *cook until chicken is just done but not over-done
Remove chicken into covered bowl, put in fridge until needed.
To broth add:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large chopped onions
1/2 of a lb. bag mini carrots
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 large or 4 small bay leaves
1 tablespoon thyme ( I heap mine)
When carrots are nearly done, add:
8-10 small red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes
1/2 large or whole small butternut squash - cut into large chunks.
2 sliced parsnips 

1 cup chopped celery (optional)  
1 cup rotini or penne noodles
Tear chicken into large bite size chunks, add to soup
Simmer till noodles and veggies are tender.
Serve with home made french bread garlic croutons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment